ALL INFORMATION REGARDING ADMISSIONS AND THE ONLINE APPLICATION FORM IS AVAILABLE HERE: https://www.ceu.edu/admissions/how-to-apply/checklist
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE MASTER'S PROGRAM
In addition to meeting the General CEU Admissions Requirements
(see: http://www.ceu.edu/apply), applicants must provide a
- 500-word outline of their proposed research topic (1.5 spaced) for their MA thesis. The thesis topic should fall within the broad thematic focus of the department and the areas of interest of its faculty. Previous work in relevant fields as well as research experience in related areas, if any should be also mentioned. Your MA proposal should specify your proposed MA research project, and why you think you and the project are a good fit for our department. This can include specifying your proposed topic and methods; a brief literature review which situates your project within existing scholarly work; the social relevance of your project to the world at large; and reference to your proposed project's suitability to CEU's Department of Sociology and Social Anthropology. We strongly encourage you to visit the CEU's Center for Academic Writing site
For further guidance on how to write a research proposal:
- 2 recommendation letters
- writing sample in English (for example a chapter from the undergraduate thesis) is required.
Please note that we only conduct interviews for shortlisted PhD applicants. The department may want to do this by phone, skype or in person. MA applicants are usually not interviewed.
For information on financial aid policy for MA applicants, please visit CEU’s policy on financial aid. Questions regarding university-level financial aid policies can be directed to the financial aid office.
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE PHD PROGRAMS
Applicants should have an MA or equivalent in a social science discipline. Background in sociology and/or anthropology is a definite advantage. In addition to meeting the General CEU Admissions Requirements (see: http://www.ceu.edu/admissions/who-can-apply) applicants must submit:
- three letters of recommendation from professors who are familiar with their work
- a three page research proposal (1.5 spaced) that the proposal should address the main research questions, sources and methodology and place the topic in the context of previous research in the field.
- a short bibliography (one page) on the topic
- writing sample in English
- statement of purpose (maximum 500 words)
Applicants do not need to establish contact with potential supervisors. Once admitted, PhD students choose supervisors during their first year of study.
For information on the general admissions requirements, application, admissions procedure and financing, please visit the CEU Admissions Page:http://www.ceu.edu/admissions/who-can-apply
APPLICATION DEADLINES FOR 2019/2020:
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE DOCTORAL SUPPORT PROGRAM
Students enrolled in a doctoral program at another university or higher education institute, wishing to use CEU's innovative programs, resources and international faculty for their dissertation work may apply for the CEU Doctoral Support Program.`
For more information on Doctoral Support Programs for Non-CEU Students: